How to prevent yeast infections?
Three out of four women will experience at least one yeast infection during her life, many experience recurrent infections. Practicing some of these prevention techniques may help reduce your risk.
1. Always wear white cotton panties. Nylon and Lycra may trap air and create a breeding ground for yeast. Never wear panty hose alone -- always wear cotton panties underneath.
2. Never use petroleum-based lubricants for vaginal lubrication during sexual intercourse. Always use water-based lubricants when vaginal dryness is an issue.
3. Always wipe from front to back after a bowel movement to prevent the yeast which normally inhabits the intestinal tract from being transferred to the vaginal area.
4. Eating one cup of yogurt a day helps some women prevent the yeast infections that often follow antibiotic treatment; however, eating yogurt will not cure a yeast infection.
5. Don't use perfumed bath products or powders in the vaginal area, these can cause irritations which can lead to infection.
6. Don't use douches! Douches wash away the natural protective mucous of the vagina leaving the vagina more susceptible to yeast and other vaginal infections.